Schoolgirl fighting for life after being hit by bus ‘which swerved to avoid yellow box’

A 14-year-old girl is fighting for her life in hospital after being hit by a bus on her walk home from school today as the double decker “swerved to avoid the yellow box”.

Emergency services rushed to the Stamford Hill area of north London at approximately 5pm on Monday following the serious collision.

Police, ambulance crews and firefighters were at the scene where the teen was hurt.

A source told the Mirror it appeared the bus first hit the girl and then collided with a nearby lamppost, bringing it to a halt.

Another schoolgirl, also 14, was also hurt in the incident and both were rushed to hospital.

The source who was at the scene said: “One of the girls was under the bus.

“It looked like it went through them and into the lamppost. They were near the pedestrian crossing but not on it, they were waiting.

“It looked like the bus had been trying not to be in the yellow box.”

A spokesman for the Met Police confirmed the girls’ parents had been informed by officers.

They added: “Officers were called at 5.02pm on Monday, October 31 to reports a bus collided with two pedestrians at the junction of Amhurst Park and Stamford Hill, N16.

“Officers attended along with the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance.

“They were supported by paramedics from Hatzola. The pedestrians, two girls believed to be aged 14, were taken to hospital.

“One of the girls suffered life-threatening injuries. Their next of kin have been informed.

“The driver of the bus stopped at the scene.”

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson added: “We were called at 5.11pm today (October 31) to reports of an incident at Stamford Hill, N16.

“We sent a number of resources to the scene including an ambulance crew, a medic in a fast response car and an incident response officer. We also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance by car. Two people were treated at the scene.

“We took one to a major trauma centre as a priority and one was taken to hospital by a Hatzola ambulance crew.”

Police confirmed no arrests have been made as enquiries continue.

Officers remain at the scene where the A10 is currently still closed in both directions.

Hackney mayor Phillip Glanville added: “Awful to hear about this accident tonight in Stamford Hill.

“First thoughts with those injured in the accident and all those from the community and emergency services who went to help them.”